We are passionate about the transformative power of research to create change in people’s lives, their communities and workplaces, in services and policy.
We aim to contribute to the mental health evidence base by:
- undertaking original research
- synthesising existing knowledge
- translating this research to further understanding of what works, transferring interventions to other populations and places at a scale that maximises benefit and impact, and including mental health in all policies.
Our research covers work in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. We have offices in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Glasgow and conduct a variety of evaluations and research in these areas.
Empowering people through physical activity
A co-produced research project studying how to improve physical activity for people with severe and enduring mental health problems.
State of a generation
Research report on preventing mental health problems in children and young people.
Help us as an advisor
Help to advise the Director of England and Wales for Research, Programmes and Policy, with strategic decisions and important revisions of documents.
Jean on how the Mental Health Foundation's Standing Together Cymru project helped her open up and build closer connections.
Matthew’s story: how Mental Health Foundation changed my life
Would you support us and enable more people like Matthew access our life-changing resources 24 hours a day, 365 days a year?
How changes in my physical health led to depression
John found that changes in his physical health led to the loss of his job and the start of his depression. Read about how he got his confidence back.
Podcasts & Videos
- New report supports link between social media and poor body image, and highlights ways to build more positive relationships in 2020
- Physical activity shown to improve the lives of people with severe mental health problems – new Mental Health Foundation study in Northern Ireland
- Hundreds of thousands of young people feel isolated, lonely and uncertain about who to turn to when experiencing mental health problems – major new report
- Millions of men in the UK affected by body image issues – Mental Health Foundation survey