How do you look after your mental health?
What is #MHFQuestionTime?
Each week we ask you a question about self-care and mental health on social media, and then share your responses in our blog.
A few weeks ago we asked you "What do you do to look after your mental health?" This is what you said:
Exercise and nature
- 'Spend time outdoors in nature. It’s soothing in a way I can’t even describe.’
- ‘Nurture nature and watch your garden grow’
- 'A good book and the view of nature is really a great day for me and all I need for a positive outcome.’
- ‘Going for a run... Running for half hour 3/4 times week gives me my headspace and me time.'
- 'Out in nature there is so much to bring me back from that stressed state, the sound of the ocean the sound of the wind blowing through trees, crunchy leaves in autumn, birds singing... Actually me and my kids go and skim stones that is quite relaxing too’
- ‘I also think water and nature takes away any worries we have as we can get lost in how beautiful it is’
- 'Exercise, I go to local classes where I get to hang out with friends who don’t judge and do exercise that helps me feel positive’
- ‘Exercise and having time out to enjoy a hobby!’
- 'As an NLP practitioner and wellness coach I use positive psychology, meditation, self-regulation and check in’
- 'We like to meditate - so lovely to help you feel more calm and composed
- ‘Meditate and forgive yourself because tomorrow is another day’
- ‘Manage stress by getting enough sleep; Don't live too far beyond your means’
- ‘Get enough sleep!’
- 'Travel somewhere new, even if you do it alone.'
Positivity, gratitude and self-kindness
- 'I try to turn any negatives into a positive.'
- 'So many things! If I want to try something I will find a way, I spend most of my time doing what I love and keep the challenge high.'
- 'Always remember it's good to be me!'
- 'Minimise contact with negative people.'
- 'I limit the negativity and focus on positive.'
- 'Being aware of people around you is very important to stop negative or damaging influence slipping in.'
- 'Be grateful for what you have.'
- 'Don’t be to hard on yourself.'
Talk to someone
- 'Go to my doctors regularly. I talk about everything to one doctor.'
- 'I always do my best to reach out to someone in my support network that I trust and let them know if I am struggling. I have learned over the years I can’t always fight strength also comes from realizing the value others have in our lives and using those shoulders to love and lean on.'
- 'It's good to talk'
- 'Dogs are excellent at reading human emotions.'
- 'I think animals really do help with so much of the emotional distress we go through on a daily.'
- 'Animals are fabulous They give so much back, and have such characters!'
- 'Hang out with animals.'
- 'Spend time with animals: they don't ask questions.'
- 'Listening to music I like helps, as does singing along badly.'
- 'When I'm feeling low, I put on music that lifts my mood. Works every time.'
- 'Watching shows on netflix to keep my mind busy from worry and when I can’t focus enough for a film.'
- ‘I find journaling is really beneficial to my wellbeing, especially regarding my mental health and managing my anxiety and depression.'
- 'I have been writing two pages every morning of a stream of conscious thoughts. Whatever comes into your head, just write it down. I have been doing this for the last six months, and it has helped me massively!'
- 'My mental health is at its worst when, for whatever reason, my creativity is stifled. And at its best when I’m doing the thing that makes me who I am.'
Why are we doing this?
We know that more and more people are living with poor mental health.
Anyone can experience mental ill health but some people are at greater risk than others. And, we also know that it doesn’t have to be this way.
We need prevention
Mental health problems can be prevented and effectively managed. We need more action and change.
We want your voice
Join our movement for good mental health for all. We need your voice for this. We want to hear about what helps you
Thank you to everyone that got involved. These are the opinions of our supportive online community.