15 tips for men: how to pick yourself up when things get tough
We asked men on Instagram ‘what do you do to reach out when you are having a hard time?’ Here is what they had to say...
Tips for men
**Coronavirus outbreak: please follow the tips below in line with the latest government advice. This will differ depending on where you live. Read the up to date guidance here.
- Reach out - chat to a mate when you start to hide yourself away
- Be listened to - have a chat and get it off your chest
- Follow social media accounts that you can relate to
- Have a chat with someone who will listen and not ‘fix’ – a mate, colleague, family or a helpline
- Keep up with your routine - or add new structure to your day
- Get outside for a short walk
- Make a motivational playlist
- Read a motivational or inspirational quote - to get perspective
- Do something new like volunteering
- Take up a new hobby
- Get out of your comfort zone - feel a sense of achievement from this
- Stop and pause – take time to check in with your head by using mindfulness, writing or meditation
- Focus on breathing – breathe in and out slowly for 3 minutes
- Switch off – in a way that works for you, with a book, film, video game etc.
- Ask a mate how they are – doing something for a mate can make you feel better
Are there any tips that aren’t on the list that help you? If yes, get in touch and tell us about them.