- 3-4 eggs (you want them to weigh around 200g)
- Baking margarine or butter (the same weight as your eggs)
- Caster sugar (the same weight as your eggs)
- Self-raising flour (the same weight as your eggs)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 140 degrees, the baking may take a bit longer at this temperature but I find it keeps the moisture in your cakes at this heat. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin/cake cases.
- Handy tip - always weigh your eggs. The weight of eggs even in the same box can differ from an egg weighing 50g-80g! Weigh your eggs then weigh your margarine, flour and caster sugar the same in separate bowls. Beat the margarine and caster sugar for as long as you can either by hand or in an electric mixer – the mixture will turn paler when it’s ready.
- Add your eggs one at a time, thoroughly mixing between each egg (add a little flour if it starts splitting) then add the flour and mixing until just combined and you can no longer see any more flour.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cases and bake until they are slightly golden and spring bake when pressed lightly in the middle – avoid opening your oven door too much during baking as this could cause them to sink in the middle.
- Allow to cool completely and choose an icing to decorate.