Skip to main content
St Clement's lemon cake
- 6 oz butter
- 6 oz caster sugar
- Grated zest and juice of one orange
- 2 room temperature eggs, beaten
- 6 oz self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons lemon curd
- 8 oz sifted icing sugar
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/350 degrees Fahrenheit/ gas mark 4, and grease and line 2 sponge tins.
- Cream the butter, when soft add the caster sugar and beat until pale and fluffy.
- Add the orange zest.
- Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, then fold in the flour and add the orange juice.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and make sure the surface is flat.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes, when the sponge is golden and is springy to touch.
- When cooled, turn out tins onto a wire rack, peel off the lining paper.
- Sandwich the cakes with lemon curd.
- Put the icing sugar in a bowl and add the lemon zest and enough juice to make a thick glancing. Spread over the top of the cake.