Skip to main content
Angela's Jamaican ginger cake
For the cake
- 300ml hot water
- 200g golden syrup
- 175g black treacle
- 120g unsalted butter – softened
- 120g light muscovado sugar
- 1 large egg – beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 350g self-raising flour
- 2½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Mixed spice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- A pinch of salt
- 50g stem ginger
For the Lemon icing
- 50g Icing sugar
- 1 tbspoon lemon juice
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas mark 4. Grease and line the bottom of 8in cake tin with greaseproof baking paper.
- Add the hot water to the golden syrup, black treacle and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well and leave to cool.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light in colour. Gradually add the egg and vanilla essence.
- Sieve the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- You should now have three bowls of separate ingredients, slowly combine them all together, mixing as you go.
- Chop the stem ginger into small pieces and dust with flour so that they don’t sink to the bottom of your cake. Add to the cake mixture and mix well.
- Pour mixture into your prepared cake tin. Place on a tray in the middle of the oven.
- Bake cake for 1hr 15 mins. If the centre of the cake is still wet, turn off the oven and leave the cake inside to cool.
- Make the lemon icing. Sieve the icing sugar. Add the lemon juice and zest. Mix well.
- When the cake is cool, apply the lemon icing. Drizzle on the cake in a zig zag pattern, using a tablespoon or palette knife.