Sag aloo is one of the most well-known vegetarian Indian dishes.
- 6 new potatoes (halved, skin on)
- 500g frozen chopped spinach (not fresh leaves)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic and ginger paste
- 5 tbsp natural yoghurt
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ¾ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- Boil potatoes. Once cooked, put to one side.
- Simmer frozen spinach in a pan with ¼ cup (60ml) of water, 3 tbsp of natural yoghurt and ¼ tsp of turmeric until the water disappears. Once done, put to one side.
- Fry onion in a little oil until golden brown.
- Add garlic & ginger paste and powdered spices and fry for a few seconds.
- Add potatoes, fry for a minute.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp of yoghurt and stir.
- Then add the spinach into the pan and fry until the oil separates (at least 5 minutes).
- Add ¼ cup (60ml) of water and simmer for 10-15 mins – make sure not to let it dry out – then serve
Recipe courtesy of Zahra Qureshi.