India is world renowned for its countless offerings of tasty street snacks known colloquially as 'chaat'.
This dish is inspired by some of these snacks - it's zingy and fresh and has a range of different textures! It's vegan and gluten-free but you could also add grilled chicken to make a delicious light summer meal for 2 people.
- 300g new potatoes - peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tomatoes - finely chopped
- ½ small red onion - finely chopped
- ½ cucumber - deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ lemon
- ½ pomegranate - seeds removed or 100g ready-prepared seeds
- 10g bunch of coriander - roughly chopped
- 60g peanuts (roasted and salted are fine)
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp toasted crushed cumin seeds
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 10 minutes, or until tender. Then drain well and allow time to cool.
- Mix the cucumber with the potatoes, pomegranate seeds, tomatoes, coriander, onion, juice of the ½ lemon, a pinch of salt, ½ tsp chaat masala and ½ tsp toasted cumin seeds.
- Crush the peanuts with half a teaspoon of chilli powder then sprinkle over the salad.