New Year's resolutions
Things like healthy eating, regular exercise and giving up smoking can have a real positive impact on our mental and physical health and are central to many people's New Year's resolutions.
Every year millions of people make resolutions yet almost 80% of us fail to achieve them. Most of us strive for unrealistic goals and ultimately set ourselves up for a failure.
As well as our tips for achieving your goals this year, we have a range of free wellbeing podcasts on topics including diet and exercise to help you stick to your resolutions. Read more about these below.
How to stick to your New Year's resolutions
Unattainable goals are often the enemy of achievable resolutions. Change one small thing at a time.
Don't wait until the last minute - plan ahead of New Year's Day.
Develop a support network
Friends, family and colleagues can all help you - talk to them about what you're planning to do and tell them how they can help.
Measure your successes
Stay motivated by measuring how far you've come each week. This will help you realise how small changes can make a big difference.
Celebrate when you succeed with a treat, which doesn't necessarily have to be the thing you're trying to avoid. You might reward the first month of your successful diet with a night at the cinema, for example - or even a short holiday!
Treat failure as a small setback
If you slip and break your diet, forget to exercise or have a secret cigarette, don't despair! Learn from the setback: what situations made you slip? Can you avoid them next time? Don't obsess over small setbacks - it won't help you achieve your goal. Start fresh the next day. Don't give up!
Make your resolution stick
After a couple of weeks, the changes you've made will become a habit and part of your routine, so don't be discouraged if you're still finding it hard after the first week. Stick to it and it will only get easier!
A Healthy Diet
- In our podcast, New Year's Resolutions - A Healthy Diet we look at how diet affects our mental health, and how you can learn techniques to help change your eating habits and improve your overall mental and physical wellbeing.
- Our free Food and Mood Diary will helps you work out how you diet affects your mood throughout the day.
Getting More Exercise
- Find out about how exercise can benefit your mental health.
- In our podcast, New Year's Resolutions - Exercise, we look at the benefits of exercise for your mental health as well as your physical health. We'll also teach you some techniques to help you create and stick to a programme of regular exercise.
Giving Up Smoking
Learn How To Beat Stress
- Find out how to manage your work-life balance.