Ask for Help

Image: line drawing of a telephone

None of us are superhuman. We all sometimes get tired or overwhelmed by how we feel or when things go wrong. If things are getting too much for you and you feel you can’t cope, ask for help.

Your family or friends may be able to offer practical help or a listening ear. Local services are there to help you.

For example, you could:

  • Join a support group like Weight Watchers or Alcoholics Anonymous to help you make changes to your life
  • Find a counsellor to help you deal with your feelings or make a fresh start
  • Call the council about noise nuisance
  • Visit a Citizens Advice Bureau if you want advice on debt

Your GP may be able to refer you to a counsellor. You should consider getting help from your GP if difficult feelings are:

  • Stopping you getting on with life
  • Having a big impact on the people you live or work with
  • Affecting your mood over several weeks

Over a third of visits to GPs are about mental health. Your GP may suggest ways you or your family can help you. Or they may refer you to a specialist or another part of the health service.

Getting Help

Get help for yourself or someone you know.


If you need someone to talk to urgently and in confidence - the Samaritans offer emotional support 24 hours a day on 08457 90 90 90.

Support Us

We are the UK's leading mental health research, policy and service improvement charity. Find out how you can support us and help us continue our life-saving work.